Boston University Dorm Catches Fire on Move-In Weekend

posted by Nancy Shack, WBZ NewsRadio1030 - 

courtesy of Dave Hogg/Flickr

BOSTON, MA (WBZ-AM)-- A Boston University Commonwealth Avenue dorm catches fire injuring one student and displacing forty as the university prepares to open for the school year. The Saturday night one-alarm fire destroyed a room on the third floor of the three story dormitory at 722 Commonwealth Ave. The rest of the building suffered extensive water damage in the efforts to extinguish the fire. The two buildings on either side of the residence were also evacuated.

One student suffered minor leg injuries and is expected to be okay.

Forty students who were housed in the residence were told they had to make alternate sleeping arrangements for the time being. School authorities say students are going to be let back in Sunday afternoon to collect belongings but have not yet determined how long until they can move back into the dorm.  They say about $200,000 in damage was done. 

There is no word yet on the cause of the fire.

title

Content Goes Here