BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — Governor Charlie Baker has announced hundreds of emergency childcare facilities will open across the state this week, as his administration continues to work on its response to the coronavirus pandemic.
"Last week we announced... all early education centers and family childcare providers in Massachusetts would close," Baker said at a press conference on Saturday.
"We know that child care is an especially critical piece of emergency service, that allows our frontline workers to continue their battle against COVID-19 and to continue their work. And there are times when our families are on the frontlines and don't have another option for their children."
In response, the state has set up "emergency drop-in childcare services" that will open on Monday, March 23. Baker cautioned that the childcare is meant to be for those with "no other option" who must report to work, including first responders, medical professionals, and grocery store employees.
Gov. Baker said as of Friday the state has identified 300 sites that are "ready to start operations on Monday," and he expects more will eventually join the list.
"This needs to be implemented safely, and the sites should only really be used as a last resort," Baker said. "All of them obviously will be operating under the policies and procedures that we put in place as part of our oversight process several weeks ago."
WBZ NewsRadio's Mike Macklin reports: