WBZ Cares is our public service initiative focused on local non-profit entities, events, and causes. Each month WBZ NewsRadio 1030 will select an organization to profile.
Through news stories, public service announcements and guest appearances on NightSide with Dan Rea, we will show the hard work and dedication of our local charities.
WBZ NewsRadio has been a trusted voice in New England for more than 90 years and we would like to work with our listeners to improve the lives of New Englanders in need.
If you would like your charity to be considered, please send us an email.
THIS MONTH'S CHARITY
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 is proud to support The Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring and preserving the memory of Glen Doherty and all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in defending the nation in the Global War on Terror. By paying forward Glen's love for learning and his passion for igniting the spirit through adventure they aim to bring joy and personal advancement into the lives of many through education and recreation.
ABOUT THE GLEN DOHERTY MEMORIAL FOUNDATION
Glen Doherty was one of the four Americans killed in a terror attack in Benghazi, Libya on September 12, 2012. This Foundation honor’s Glen’s life and his beliefs.
Their focus is to provide current and former special operations professionals, from all branches of the government, the means necessary to transition and succeed in civilian life. They also enable the children and families of soldiers to mature and grow through recreation. They employ the following tools to achieve their goals:
- Scholarships for current or former Special Operation Professionals used for traditional education
- Scholarships for current or former Special Operations Professionals used for vocational and non-traditional training
- Subsidies and grants for the children of Special Operations Professionals to attend camps that build leadership
- Gifts for the families of Special Operations Professionals and Foreign Service Officers, where a loss or life-changing debilitating injury has been suffered, to be used for recreation as a way of supporting the family unit through positive outdoor activities.
THEIR FUNDRAISING EFFORTS
The Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation is committed to preserving Glen's memory and helping others through celebratory fundraising events.
Thanks to the support of generous donors The Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation has reached an important milestone. Their goal has always been to protect Glen’s legacy. Donations have allowed them to create an endowed scholarship in Glen’s Name in partnership with Scholars First. The endowment was seeded with $250,000 and they continue to grow this account from events like The Boston Marathon, their Annual Memorial Road Race, The New York City Marathon and Corporate Sponsorships. They are growing and protecting the principle so that the GDMF will forever fund scholarships for Special Operations veterans and their dependents.
If you are looking for a 501(c)3 organization to partner with for your fundraising idea or event, contact a member of The GDMF team for more information on how to get your fundraiser off the ground.
- 5k Run/Walks
- CrossFit Events
- Bake Sales
- Dinner / Dances
- Dress Down Days
- Golf Tournaments
- Pub Crawls
The mission of The Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation is to ease the transition from military life and work to that of a civilian by helping fund educational costs for Special Operation individuals and their children. They do this knowing Glen's spirit will continue to touch all.
PREVIOUS WBZ CARES CHARITIES
- Special Needs Arts Programs, Inc.
- East Foundation Social Centers
- Arthritis Foundation
- Brighton Marine
- Strongwater Farm
- New England Donor Services
- Greater Boston Food Bank
- Franciscan Children's
- Sportsmen's Tennis & Enrichment Center
- One Summit
- Alzheimer’s Association of Massachusetts/New Hampshire Chapter
- The Megan House
- Camp Harbor View
- The Home For Little Wanderers
- Operation A.B.L.E.
- Good Sports
- Animal Rescue League of Boston
- Generations Incorporated
- Big Brother Big Sister
- Christmas in the City
- New England Center for Homeless Veterans
- Learn to Cope
- Cradles to Crayons
- Genesis Foundation
- St. Mary’s Center for Women and Children
- The Shadow Fund