A Springfield Woman Has Died After A House Fire, No Fire Alarms Were Found

Photo: Getty Images

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — A 61-year-old woman succumbed to her injuries after a house fire in Springfield early Wednesday morning left her hospitalized, according to Springfield Fire and Police Officials.

Springfield Arson & Bomb Squad, the State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit investigated the fire and determined it began in the woman's bedroom. While officials have not released what exactly caused the fire, they did find candles, incense, and several boxes of matches where the fire began. They found no working smoke alarms and no sprinkler system in place in the house.

“On behalf of the Springfield Fire Department, I want to express our condolences to the victim’s family and loved ones,” Springfield Fire Commissioner Calvi said in a statement. “I also want to remind everyone in the community to practice fire safety when using candles and incense. Always place them in a sturdy, nonflammable saucer or candleholder and keep them at least a foot from anything that can burn. Unattended candles and incense are a fire hazard, so be sure to extinguish them if you’re drowsy, going to bed, or leaving the room.”

Read More: 'Book It Around Boston' Had Residents Running To The Library On Saturday

The fire occurred at 33 Wakefield Street in Indian Orchard at around 4:15 A.M. The woman and two other adults were displaced from the fire after it caused major damage to the house. The victim's name has not been released at this time.

“It’s vitally important to have working smoke alarms on every level of every home,” State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said. “More than 60% of last year’s fire deaths took place in the overnight hours. Smoke alarms are necessary tools to wake you and your loved ones in the event of a fire while you’re sleeping. Please check your smoke alarms today. Test them to be sure they’re working properly and check the manufacturing date printed on the back. If it’s more than 10 years old, replace it right away.”

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content