DARTMOUTH, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — An 11-year-old is in the hospital after an explosion at a campfire at a home in Dartmouth.
The explosion happened Saturday night at around 9:20 p.m. at a home on Collins Corner Road, according to Dartmouth Police. Officers responded to the home after getting a call about a child sustaining multiple burns.
After an investigation, Dartmouth Police said the explosion happened after the child threw a gasoline container into the fire. The child received multiple burns, none of which were considered life-threatening.
Dartmouth Police said the child was taken to Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence out of an abundance of caution.
“We are all very relieved that the incident did not turn out much worse, and we certainly hope that others can learn from this dire error in judgment," Dartmouth Police Chief Brian Levesque said in a statement.
The child was not identified.
WBZ's Tim Dunn (@ConsiderMeDunn) reports.