11-Year-Old Hailed As Hero In Haverhill Fire

HAVERHILL, MA (WBZ-AM) – Steven Clarke doesn’t want to think of what would've happened to everybody in his home on Phillps Street early Sunday morning if his 11-year-old grandson, Tyler, had not smelled smoke

He told WBZ-TV the boy woke everybody up, and everyone escaped before the house went up in flames:

“Tyler is the hero, not me. He’s the one that woke up his grandmother and his sister and then got me,” he said.

Not much was left, but at least they have each other -- and they're safe:

“You wouldn’t believe how proud I am of because I wouldn’t have gotten out, I was on the third floor and there is only one way out,” Clarke said

Fire officials have determined the cause of the fire was electrical and say that the American Red Cross is helping the displaced family.

Anyone interested in helping should call Ellen Sullivan at (708)885-1931

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content