WAYLAND, MA (WBZ-AM) – It’s not your typical call for help. Some local firefighters in Massachusets are being praised for their efforts to help to save a teenager from choking in Michigan.
It was a message that came in to the Wayland, Mass Fire Department through facebook messenger
“A woman said her 16- year old son was choking she was unable to perform the Heimlich,” said Firefighter Patrick Wilkinshaw who tells WBZ-TV the address the woman gave caught their attention because it wasn’t in Wayland, Mass but instead Wayland Michigan.
Firefighter Dean Casali said they were able to notify dispatch in the Michigan town about the emergency.
“There they were able to send a response to the address to help the victims,” he said.
The firefighters here in Massachusetts were able to provide assistance walking the woman through some instructions before the ambulance arrived.
The boy is okay, though firefighters are urging people not to reach out through Facebook in an emergency and instead call 9-1-1 whenever possible
WBZ NewsRadio1030’s Ben Parker reports.