BOSTON, MA (WBZ-AM) -- Boston officials are expecting up to 40,000 people to take part in the gun reform "March For Our Lives" rally Saturday organized after the Parkland, Florida school shooting last month.
While they are also expecting it to be peaceful, Police Commissioner Bill Evans says there will be fewer security measures than in recent rallies but there will be a big police presence.
"We are always worried because we always get some troublemakers who want to take the march somewhere it doesn't belong but we we have officers under over we'll makes sure to surround that group so they don't do that," Evans said.
Mayor Walsh plans to be there to show support.
"This is not going away this is becoming a movement and these kids are moving forward it's becoming a movement," Walsh said.
The gathering spot will be at Madison Park High and go through Columbus Ave to the Common at Charles St..
Other marches in the region are taking place in, Providence and Plymouth and on the Cape
On Cape Cod students are getting ready for rallies. Several busloads are traveling from the area to Washington, DC for the main march.
The website MarchForOurLives.com indicates there's a sister event happening in Falmouth at 1 p.m. Saturday, and there's also a social media page for an event in Hyannis at 11 a.m.
WBZ NewsRadio1030's Lana Jones reports.