Emanuel Lopes Held Without Bail In Murder Of Weymouth Officer, Bystander

WEYMOUTH (WBZ-AM/24/7 NewsSource) -- The man police say shot and killed a Weymouth Police Officer and an innocent bystander Sunday morning was arraigned Tuesday afternoon in Quincy District Court.

Emanuel Lopes, 20, is accused of killing Officer Michael Chesna with his own gun, and then shooting and killing Vera Adams in her home nearby. Lopes was ordered held without bail.

Lopes was wheeled into the courtroom in a wheelchair as a courtroom full of Weymouth Police officers looked on. He was wearing a hospital johnny and appeared dazed.

A judge declared Lopes competent for his court arraignment. A court-appointed defense attorney asked that Lopes be sent to a treatment facility for 20 days, saying he has a long history of psychiatric admissions, and isn't able to help in his own defense in any way. 

Lopes' arraignment came two days after the murders, and one day after the Norfolk District Attorney's office said Lopes was "not medically available" to be arraigned, as he was being treated for a gunshot wound to the leg sustained in a shootout with police. 

This week, details of Lopes' criminal record began to emerge. 

Last September, Lopes was arrested for throwing a rock through the Weymouth window of Derek Winslow, who had been charged with dealing cocaine, breaking into cars, and shoplifting. In that incident, Lopes' bail was revoked. In December, he was sent to High Point Treatment Center and ordered to stay away from Winslow's home.

In October, Lopes did not contest the facts of another arrest for drug possession and distribution for a minor--as well as resisting arrest. According to court documents, Lopes was caught running away from an area in Weymouth known as "The Shelf"--known to be a drug marketplace. He left behind a small bag with white powder and a scale.

In February of this year, Lopes failed to show up at a probation appointment for a pretrial drug test.

WBZ-TV Chief Investigative Reporter Cheryl Fiandaca reported that Lopes was on pretrial probation when he allegedly shot Officer Chesna and Vera Adams, and that he had tested positive for marijuana in April, though his bail was not revoked.

Fiandaca also reported that on Saturday, the day before the murders, Lopes was walking around Weymouth filming a profanity-laced tirade about President Donald Trump that was posted on social media.

Lopes reportedly struggled with mental health issues as well. He apparently stabbed himself in the neck with scissors while a student at Weymouth High School.

(24/7 NewsSource contributed to this report)

WBZ NewsRadio 1030's Kim Tunnicliffe reports

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content