LAWRENCE, MA (WBZ-AM) – As the temperatures drop, hundreds of residents impacted by last month’s gas fires in the Merrimack valley got ready for work and school with heat and hot water. But they’re still not home.
South Common Park in Lawrence has turned into a campground for residents displaced by last month's gas fires.
Dozens of trailers line the park -- all paid for by Columbia Gas.
Donna tried to stay home for as long as she could after losing gas service. Last month she received a hot plate and a space heater from the gas company, but they weren’t enough to provide enough heat and hot water for her family. So they decided to move in to one of the trailers on Friday night.
But she says there’s been a lot of back and forth to their house to pick up clothes and other items they need.