Gas Odor Causes Evacuation Of Revere Apartment Building

Revere Hazmat

(Kevin Coleman/WBZ NewsRadio)

REVERE, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — An apartment building in Revere was evacuated Sunday after a report of an odor of natural gas.

The incident happened at the Broadway Towers apartment building. Fire and Hazmat crews responded.

Deputy Fire Chief Glen Rich said the problem appeared to be on the second floor of the building.

“When I opened my door, I immediately smelled gas,” Mia, a resident at the building, said. “First, the fire alarm went off. And, I mean, the fire alarm goes off a lot so a lot of people don’t leave the building, including myself.”

Mia said she didn’t see anything right away. But, when she looked out of her apartment for a second time, she saw several first responders on their way.

“I got a little nervous at that point because to see that many coming,” Mia said. “And then within five they started banging on the door.

The Revere Fire Department escorted residents down the block to stay warm inside an MBTA bus.

Revere Police confirmed Sunday evening that residents have been allowed back into the building.

WBZ NewsRadio's Kevin Coleman (@KevinColemanWBZ) reports

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content