Hoverboard To Blame For 2-Alarm Andover Fire

BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) A charging hoverboard is said to be the cause of a two-alarm house fire in Andover yesterday.

The fire broke out in a two-family home at 10 Temple Place around 3:45 p.m. Three residents inside the unit that caught fire, and two other residents in the next-door unit, all got out safely. They are now staying with family and friends. Fire investigators have determined that a lithium-ion, battery-powered hoverboard was charging in the home’s first-floor, when it over-heated. Hoverboards have been linked to several fires when they first became popular in 2016. The devices are now required to comply with national safety standards.

State Fire Marshall Peter Ostroskey says all owners should make sure their hoverboards have been tested and approved by an independent laboratory. And he says a charging hoverboard should never be left unattended.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

(Getty Images)

WBZ NewsRadio 1030 · Boston's News Radio

Listen Now on iHeartRadio

outbrain pixel