BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — A virtual hearing was held Tuesday morning for Louis D. Coleman III, the man charged in the kidnapping and death of 23-year-old Jassy Correia.
Lawyers representing Coleman asked for more time, saying their work had been stalled by the COVID-19 pandemic. They said it is has made it difficult to review files and meet with their client.
A federal judge granted the defense’s request for a continuance. The next court date will now be on July 7. The judge also repeatedly offered assistance to the defense, and urged both sides to make sure the case moved along.
The teams are expected to discuss evidence later this week.
Authorities say that Coleman kidnapped Correia from the Venu nightclub in Boston in February of 2019. He was arrested in Delaware four days later. Police said they found Correia's body in the trunk of his car.
Coleman is charged with one count of kidnapping resulting in death, a charge that could lead to the death penalty. Although, prosecutors have yet to indicate if that is on the table.
WBZ NewsRadio's Chris Fama (@CFamaWBZ) reports