On Monday, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said the city had begun to remove the tents along Massachusetts Avenue and Melnea Cass Boulevard, with dozens of unhoused people being placed into city housing. Mayor Wu says the city's efforts to address the problem will involved medium-term and long-term plans.
"The encampments that we see and that some individuals have been living in for a number of years at this point, are not a safe or healthy place for anyone to be living. There's no heat, no running water, poor sanitation," Wu said. " We're really approaching past the point of urgency here."
Last month, the Boston Public Health Commission surveyed residents living in the area and were able to identify 145 people living there between Dec. 6 and Dec. 8. As of yesterday, 83 of those people have been placed into housing. There is space available for the remaining 62 encampment residents, Wu said.
Outreach teams will work to connect people with available housing options.
The deadline today was expected to finish work the city began in October, during which those living in tents or make-shift shelters were given at least two days notice before their property must be removed. They were also given drug treatment options, shelter, transportation and property storage, if needed.
City workers are expected to stay in the area after Jan. 12 to make sure encampments do not return.
WBZ's James Rojas (@JamesRojasNews) reports.