SAUGUS (WBZNewsRadio) — When third grader Sylaas Vieira began choking on a carrot during lunch, a pair of fellow classmates, Heloysa Delima and Yuzreef Yusef, jumped into action.
The three friends attend Belmonte STEM Academy and enjoy playing football at recess.
When they realized he was choking, Delima went to get a teacher while Yusef said he simply did what his Dad taught him to do.
"My Dad taught me at an early age because he wanted me to know how to help someone or help myself," Yusef said. "I would try to dislodge it and I was hitting his back until it came out."
The carrot popped right out of Vieira's mouth.
Vieira was checked out by the nurse and was ok thanks to these heroes and forever friends.
"It means a lot to me because it's a really scary moment," Vieira said.
This is the second time at Belmonte in the last several months that a student saved a choking poor. Jacob Puglisi, 8, leapt into action to help a fellow student choking on a nacho during lunch last fall.
WBZ's Brooke McCarthy (@BrookeWBZ) reports