Accused Ortiz Shooter: Big Papi Wasn't The Intended Target

BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — The man accused of shooting David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic is speaking out.

Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz claims that he didn’t intend on shooting the legendary now retired Red Sox slugger.

“it’s not David…I was confused,” Ferreyra Cruz said to reporters in a cell phone video obtained by CBS News. “They only told me the color of his clothes.

Cruz claims that he didn’t know he had shot Ortiz.

 

In a news conference on Wednesday, the Dominican Republic National Police Director, Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, said Ferreyra Cruz confessed to the shooting.

Authorities say that brainchild behind the hit on Ortiz was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $7,800 USD, to orchestrate the assassination attempt.

The alleged coordinator was also among those in custody officials said. Authorities have not said who ordered the killing.

The handgun allegedly used in the attempted hit was found buried near a house, about 100 miles southwest of Santo Domingo.

Currently nine men are under arrest in the connection of the shooting more arrests are likely according to Dominican authorities.

Meantime legendary Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is back in Boston where he remains in "guarded condition in the surgical intensive care unit following his second surgery," at Massachusetts General Hospital according to his wife Tiffany Ortiz.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio on Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | iHeartRadio app

The David Ortiz Shooting: What We Know So Far
The David Ortiz Shooting: What We Know So Far
Here's everything we know so far about the shooting and current condition of former Red Sox slugger and baseball legend David Ortiz.

title

Content Goes Here