(Rony Camille/WBZ NewsRadio)
NEWTON, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — The potential sale of the Encore Boston Harbor casino in Everett to MGM Resorts has raised concerns for officials in Everett and Springfield.
It was revealed last week that Wynn Resorts, the company that owns the Everett casino, are discussing the possibility of the sale with MGM Resorts. WBZ NewsRadio’s Carl Stevens spoke with Gov. Charlie Baker in Newton on Monday about his concerns regarding the possible sale.
Baker said that a sale could cause significant disruption in Everett and Springfield.
“MGM is obviously operating in Springfield. It employs thousands of people out there. It’s become a big part of the city,” Baker said.
According to Baker, no one in Massachusetts can have two casino licenses.
“And since MGM already has a license in Springfield, if they were to do anything in Everett, they would have to find a solution for that operation in Springfield,” Baker said.
Baker also pointed out that these are only discussions taking place between the two businesses, and he believes that the Gaming Commission would allow the transfer of a casino license only if they are convinced it would not be overly disruptive to the communities involved.
WBZ NewsRadio’s Carl Stevens (@carlwbz) reports