Bristol Community College Evacuated Due To Chemical Odor; 10 Hospitalized

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts community college campus has been evacuated and about 10 people have been taken to the hospital with possible chemical exposure.

Bristol Community College’s campus in New Bedford was evacuated Thursday.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott Kruger tells The Standard-Times that first responders initially received a call reporting the smell of natural gas, but once crews arrived at the scene it became apparent it wasn’t natural gas, but some sort of chemical gas.

He says those taken to the hospital complained of trouble breathing. He says others were treated at the scene.

A hazardous materials crew remains at the scene trying to determine the source of the smell.

The college tweeted that campus will remain closed for the remainder of the day.

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content