Brockton Man Ordered Held Without Bail Following Alleged Hate Crime


TAUNTON, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — A Brockton man, accused of violently assaulting a gay man in what is alleged to be a “hate crime,” has been deemed dangerous and ordered held without bail during a Super Court hearing.

Michael Cates, 34, was indicted by a grand jury in November of last year on charges of violating civil rights and multiple assault and battery charges.

Cates was also indicted for allegedly assaulting a fellow inmate at the Bristol County House of Corrections back in August while he was being held for the incident in Taunton.

Read More: Murder Conviction Overturned In Caribbean Festival Shooting Case

The alleged “hate crime” happened on June 29, 2020. Cates allegedly entered the property of a gay couple in Taunton. The victim said the suspect yelled a homosexual slur. The victim also said he lost two teeth after the suspect punched him in the face twice before driving off.

The suspect and the victim apparently did not know each other. Authorities said an independent witness and the victim’s husband saw the assault happen.

Cates was charged in July and was summonsed to Taunton District Court for an August arraignment, where he was determined to be dangerous. After he indicted, the case moved up to the Massachusetts Superior Court.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

(Photo: Getty Images)