Cape Cod Fugitive Is Captured In Georgia After Months On Run

Photo: Getty Images

BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — After a four-month-long manhunt, a Cape Cod man who had escaped custody inside Lemuel Shattuck Hospital in Jamaica Plain has been arrested in another state on Saturday.

According to Massachusetts State Police, 30-year-old Darren Devine was walking on Highway 32 in Brantley County, Georgia when the local Sheriff's Department Deputies located and identified him. After Devine was confirmed to be wanted on multiple warrants from Orleans and Barnstable District Courts, he was placed into custody without incident, officials said.

Officials said Devine was charged in his home state with intent to rape, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, domestic assault and battery, strangulation, breaking and entering in the nighttime, vandalism, intimidation, possession of a Class B narcotic with intent to distribute, larceny, and motor vehicle violations. Additionally, Devine was charged in West Roxbury District Court with escaping from a penal institution.

Read More: Framingham Police Warn Residents Of QR Code Parking Scam

According to police, Devine was being held at Lemuel Shattuck Hospital, when he allegedly scaled a high fence and escaped on foot back in September of 2021.

Police said Devine was known to have a history of violence and an ability to hide and survive in the woods, as the MSP Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section and U.S Marshals Boston task force worked with other police agencies both local and across state lines. Police in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida searched for Devine, officials said.

On January 9, police received a report that Devine may have been involved in a larceny investigation in Virginia, and later that week received information that he was traveling by car down to Georgia. Police said that USMS located and arrested Devine's brother, Jordan Devine, at a convenience store with charges of impeding investigation and possession of narcotics.

Friday night multiple Georgia agencies used foot patrols, K9 units, and helicopters to corner off a 3,000 acre stretch of land where they believed Devine was camping, officials said.

The next day police said they found Devine on the highway, bringing him into custody at Brantley County Jail pending rendition to his charges back in Massachusetts.

WBZ's Tim Dunn (@ConsiderMeDunn) reports.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content