Accidental Chimney Fire Caused Concord Mansion Blaze, Fire Marshal Says

concord mansion fire

(Karyn Regal/WBZ NewsRadio)

CONCORD, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — The blaze that destroyed a 122-year-old mansion in Concord last week was caused by an accidental chimney fire, the Massachusetts State Fire Marshal's office said in a release Monday.

The fire completely destroyed the Fairhaven Hill Road home Friday morning, as crews struggled with an outdated water main system.

Blaze Tears Through 122-Year-Old Concord Mansion - Thumbnail Image

Blaze Tears Through 122-Year-Old Concord Mansion

A statement from the Fire Marshal's office said the fire spread from the fireplace via a breach in the mortar, through which super-heated gases escaped, igniting the rest of the building.

“We’re confident the fireplace was used in a correct and appropriate manner by the occupants of the home, and that this was a tragic accident," Concord Fire Chief Thomas Judge said in a statement.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content