Coronavirus Death Toll Continues To Surge


BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — It's been nearly six weeks since Gov. Charlie Baker issued the state's stay-at-home advisory over the coronavirus pandemic.

However, according to new data from the state Department of Public Health, around two-thirds of confirmed COVID-related deaths in Massachusetts have been reported in the last two weeks.

Out of a total of 3,846 deaths attributed to coronavirus so far, more than 63 percent were reported between April 18th and May 2nd. Last Saturday, the state reported its highest single-day death toll related to the virus.

Earlier this week, The New York Times reported that based on statistics from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus death toll has likely been undercounted in at least seven states, including Massachusetts.

Gov. Baker has said the Bay State will start the process of reopening when DPH data shows some "good news," meaning there are at least two weeks of consistently decreasing case and death numbers.

"I know that everybody would love to see that it's over," Baker said. "But here we are still in the surge, and we need to recognize that this insidious and often invisible virus is still making people here in Massachusetts very sick."

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

(Photo: Getty Images)


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content