BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — At a press conference Monday afternoon, Gov. Baker reassured the public the Commonwealth was prepared for the coronavirus outbreak, and urged residents to follow the personal prevention recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control
"Massachusetts remains at low risk, and has had only one confirmed case to date—and so far, he is recovering," Baker said. "Our top priority remains the health and safety of our residents."
Baker said officials have been planning the Bay State's response to the virus since the outbreak first began, and that his administration has been in regular communication with the CDC, U.S. Health and Human Services, local health agencies, and other interested parties.
"In fact, this afternoon, I participated on a conference call with the White House and governors across the country to hear an update from federal officials," Baker said.
That call briefed the governors on current travel restrictions posted on the CDC and Homeland Security websites, and gave them an update on stockpiles of supplies that will be made available if deemed necessary.
Officials directed residents to a new state landing page, mass.gov/2019coronavirus, where they could get more information about the outbreak response.
"In terms of what you can do to protect yourself, please remember to wash your hands often with warm soap and water, cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze, and stay home when you're feeling sick," Baker said. "We're still in the midst of flu season, and we urge residents to get a flu shot if you haven't already done so."
Massachusetts DPH Commissioner Monica Bharel said the risk for contracting the virus was closely tied to recent travel history, and the travel histories of their immediate contacts.
"One of the most important messages for us to remember is that someone's nationality alone is not a risk factor for COVID19," she said.
WBZ NewsRadio's Mike Macklin reports