Duxbury School's Carbon Monoxide Scare Emphasizes Alarm Importance

Photo: Getty Images

DUXBURY, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — The Duxbury Fire Department said that they have responded to multiple Carbon Monoxide (CO) calls in the last week of January, one of which was from Alden Elementary School's gymnasium.

On Monday morning, the DXFD arrived to Alden on reports of a possible gas leak. All students were relocated to the auditorium during the incident, and there were no injuries, officials said.

"Over the last three days, DXFD had multiple Carbon Monoxide (CO) calls. CO is an invisible, odorless, and colorless gas that can be fatal. These calls were detected by CO alarms which saved lives. Please follow these guidelines to help keep you and your family safe from CO," DXFD said.

Read More: Tom Brady Officially Retires From The NFL

Officials said that lives were saved because of the use of CO alarms, equipment that should have its batteries replaced and tested regularly.

"Carbon Monoxide alarms should be replaced after five to seven years, if there's no date on the alarm- replace it right away," said State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey.

DXFD said that if the alarms sound, inhabitants of the building should immediately move out to a fresh air location outside or at least towards an open window or door. Additionally, officials said that fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys should be inspected by a professional every year before the cold weather moves in.

Dryers, furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and outside generators should be cleared of snow build-up and given proper ventilation, officials said.

DXFD said that symptoms of CO poisoning may include headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, confusion, shortness of breath, blurred vision, or loss of consciousness. Anyone who experiences CO poisoning symptoms should exit the building, officials said.

WBZ's Brooke McCarthy (@BrookeWBZ) reports.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content