FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio)— Governor Charlie Baker defended the MBTA in a press conference Wednesday after a string of incidents over the past three months involving trains and stations.
"I do believe the T is safe," Baker told reporters.
Baker's comments come after slow-moving Red Line train derailed after one of the train cars contacted the edge of a platform at the Broadway station in South Boston on Tuesday, Sept. 28. The 47 passengers were able to depart the train and there were no injuries reported.
"I think there have been eight derailments in the past 24 months, that's eight too many," Baker said.
Along with the derailment, an accident occurred earlier this week at the Back Back MBTA station when an escalator suddenly reversed course leaving nine people injured. Earlier in September, a Green Line operator was charged with negligence for a July crash that left 27 people injured.
Baker spoke with reporters in Framingham touting his administration's investment in the MBTA.
"Find me another administration that spent $5 billion on modernizing and upgrading a system that was horribly neglected for decades before we took office," Baker said.
"There's still significant work that needs to be done absolutely but a big part of what we've done over the course of the past six or seven years is make investments that should have been made in the 80s, 90s, and aughts and weren't."
WBZ's Karyn Regal (@karynregal) has more from the governor.