LAWRENCE, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — Contractors punctured a low-pressure gas line while performing some work in Lawrence's Tower Hill neighborhood Monday, leaving more than 50 houses without gas service.
There were no injuries or fires reported after the line was struck on Florence Avenue around 12:30 p.m. Those homes have power, but no gas service.
"Fifty-three homes are affected," Katie Reilly, Deputy Chief of Staff to Lawence Mayor Dan Rivera, told WBZ NewsRadio. "A temporary shelter is being opened at the Arlington School, also in North Lawrence."
Columbia Gas and the Lawrence Fire Department were on scene working to restore gas service, and Reilly said the situation was "safe."
The incident is not related to the ongoing Columbia Gas issues, Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera said in a statement.
Repairs were expected to take 6-12 hours, and gas service was expected to be restored late Monday evening.
The name of the contractor that hit the gas line has not been released.
Columbia Gas said shortly before 6 p.m. that residents were allowed to return to their homes.
"Once repairs are completed, Columbia Gas crews will go door-to-door to perform safety checks and relight natural gas appliances for all affected customers," the company wrote on Facebook. "We will contact customers to let them know when relights are ready to begin."
In nearby Methuen, two Lowell Street buildings were evacuated due to an odor of gas around 1:30 p.m. Monday, but residents were allowed back into their homes about a half hour later. Columbia Gas was on scene digging up the road in an attempt to determine whether repairs were needed.