BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — Dozens of businesses in the area of Faneuil Hall are without power Sunday morning, following several manhole fires overnight.
"A manhole cover I guess flew up about a hundred feet in the air," Ken, who manages one of the affected buildings in the area, told WBZ's James Rojas. "They're doing what they can. I guess if they can't get power restored soon they're going to have to probably put us on a generator," said Ken.
Officials cut the power after multiple reports of fires at about 12:30 A.M. First responders found smoke billowing out of the basement of buildings around the hall, and from manholes in the area.
According to power company Eversource they did not find any explosions. A spokesperson said the smoke appears to have been caused by underground fires caused by an equipment failure.
At least one fire was sparked inside a business in the Faneuil Hall marketplace; J.J. Donavan's Tavern. Employees expect the doors will be closed for at least a few days while damages are repaired.
Some of the surrounding streets also remain closed as officials work to fix the issue. No injuries were reported.
WBZ NewsRadio's James Rojas reports: