BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — The MBTA announced proposed cuts to its services on Monday, as the organization said its ridership has plummeted nearly 75 percent compared to last year.
MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak said the MBTA is planning to halt subway service just after midnight – the current service stops at 1:00 a.m. He said the organization will make changes to bus service, cutting 25 routes and consolidating or shortening 19 others.
Under the proposed changes, the commuter rail will not run past 9:00 p.m. or on the weekend. The MBTA added that it is at 13 percent of its normal ridership. The organization also said ferries would be completely eliminated from service.
Opponents of the plan say the services being cut are essential for workers in the state.
“Massachusetts will be at a competitive disadvantage if we are perceived as a place where you must own a car in order to be able to live and work,” said Jason Palitsch, Executive Director of the 495/MetroWest Partnership.
Other organizations have formed a partnership, the Transit Is Essential Coalition, to fight the service rollbacks.
The MBTA said the cuts would be temporary and reversible. The organization still needs to hold public comment meetings, and the MBTA’s Fiscal and Management Control Board will need to vote on the changes in December before they become final.
WBZ NewsRadio1030's Karyn Regal (@Karynregal) reports.