MBTA Officials Discuss Future While Protesters Rally Outside

BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — Protests continued outside the State Transportation Building on Monday after weeks of public outrage over faulty MBTA service.

The Department of Transportation and Fiscal Management Control Board (FMCB) held a packed meeting inside to discuss repairs and ride rates.

About 100 protesters rallying outside carried anti-fare hike signs that read “fares going up, service going down” and “why should we pay for your mistakes?”—then took their concerns upstairs to the meeting.

An 18-year-old student spoke in front MBTA officials, asking for low-income rate structure so young people do not have to spend as much on their commute to low-paying jobs.

"Twenty-three dollars a week may not seem like a lot, but for the many people who are living off minimum wage, they cannot afford to allocate their money to the MBTA," one protester said

"You expect us to pay these ridiculous prices, but can't even have the decency to run on time, or have AC or heat in the corresponding months?" another protester asked the board.

MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak said a signal restoration near where the Red Line derailed earlier this summer is expected to be completed by August 15. This could potentially cut commute times by 5 minutes.

FMCB agreed to consider a fare structure for low-income riders at their upcoming meeting August 15.

"I just want to make sure that the public understands that you are being heard and you are being seen around this," Vice Chair Monica Tibbits-Nutt told the protesters.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

WBZ NewsRadio's Kim Tunnicliffe (@KimWBZ) reports

 

title

Content Goes Here