An MMR vaccine. (Getty Images)
BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — A Boston resident has been diagnosed with measles, the Boston Public Health Commission said Wednesday—and the infected person may have visited five locations around the city.
According to the BPHC, the case was diagnosed on Sunday, and is the first case confirmed a Boston resident since 2013.
"This is a dangerous disease, but it is preventable," BPHC Medical Director Dr. Jennifer Lo said in a release. "Getting vaccinated is the best way for everyone to protect themselves from measles."
The commission said the resident visited several locations around the city during the infectious period, and warned that others may have been exposed.
Here is a list of those locations, and the times the person visited them:
- Friday, October 4th 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Render Coffee, 563 Columbus Avenue, South End
- Friday, October 4th 2:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.: Cafe Madeleine, 517 Columbus Avenue, South End
- Friday, October 4th 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.: Gyroscope, 305 Huntington Avenue, Fenway
- Saturday, October 5th 11:30 a.m. to 1:35 p.m.: CouCou, 24 Union Park Street, South End
- Saturday, October 5th 12:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.: Sir Speedy, 827 Boylston Street, Back Bay
The BPHC warned that anyone who visited those places around those times could get sick between October 25-26. Anyone who was exposed and doesn't know their immunization status, or starts to develop measles symptoms, is urged to call their healthcare provider.
Anyone unsure of their vaccination status is urged to get the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine. The BPHC said anyone who has had the measles in the past or who has had two doses of the vaccine isn't likely to be at risk.
The highly-contagious disease is spread through the air by coughing and sneezing, and "may remain in the environment for up to two hours after the infectious person has left the area," the commission said.
Symptoms include a fever, runny nose, cough, and red eyes, followed three to five days later by a skin rash.
Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App