METHUEN, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — A gas leak led to the evacuation of several buildings in Methuen Friday afternoon.
Methuen Police said shortly after 3 p.m. they were responding to an active gas leak at 129 Center Street, and asked the public to avoid the area.
About an hour later, the department said the source of the leak had been found and shut off, and all residents were allowed back to their homes.
There were no injuries reported. Police, Fire and Gas Department personnel were at the scene.
“After what we saw happen last year, there are no chances taken," Methuen Police Chief Joseph Solomon said, referring to the Columbia Gas explosions of September 2018.
Columbia Gas is also the utility company in charge of the lines in Methuen. In a statement Friday afternoon, the company said they were working to fix the leak as quickly as possible.
A Public Information Officer for Columbia Gas told WBZ NewsRadio's Karyn Regal that four buildings were evacuated.
The company said they were reviewing the natural gas system in the area as part of their work stemming from last year's disaster when they found the leak in an abandoned church building and went into action.
WBZ NewsRadio's Karyn Regal (@Karynregal) reports