BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — Next week's portion of the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays series in Canada is shaping up to have a shallow roster for the away team. Red Sox officials said on Tuesday that catcher Christian Vázquez and infielder Jonathan Araúz have been placed on the team's COVID-19 related injured list.
Earlier in the week, catcher Kevin Plawecki was placed on the list after he tested positive for the virus.
Connor Wong from Triple-A Worcester has been called to the team on an emergency basis, making him the only catcher currently on the Red Sox roster.
The Red Sox are also going to be down a significant number of players next week, including starting pitcher Tanner Houck who told the Boston Globe he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and therefore cannot pitch in Toronto.