SANDWICH, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — The migrants living at Joint Base Cape Cod will leave before the end of October, according to WBZ-TV. The 50 Venezuelan asylum-seekers were flown to Martha's Vineyard last month by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Gov. Charlie Baker opened up the base for the migrants to stay at after a short time on Martha's Vineyard.
When asked by WBZ NewsRadio, the Massachusetts National Guard press office said they haven't made any official statements on the matter. Gov. Baker also did not give any specifics to the media on Monday, but did say that the base is "not really part of what I would describe as a neighborhood or a community. It's what it is, it's a military base," according to State House News.
"The big thing that they and we would like to see them do is figure out some way to turn that into work," he said.
Martha's Vineyard-based immigration lawyer Rachel Self is working with some of the asylum seekers. She told WBZ NewsRadio's Laurie Kirby last week that two were scheduled to leave the base and go to New York, while some others were planning to leave and stay with local families around Massachusetts as they wait for their immigration hearings.
WBZ NewsRadio has reached out to the Governor's Office and the Massachusetts Emergency management Agency for further comment.