SHERBORN, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) – Sherborn police have suspended the search for men accused of stealing one car and trying to hijack another.
According to WBZ-TV, Massachusetts State Police Spokesperson Dave Procopio said Hopkinton police were chasing three men in a stolen car at around 4:00 a.m., Wednesday morning. That car later crashed in Hopkinton and the men took off.
Not that long after, at around 5:53 a.m., an Alfa Romeo sedan crashed into a utility pole in Sherborn. Sherborn Police Chief Thomas Galvin told WBZ-TV two men jumped out of the wrecked car with a handgun and tried to carjack another driver who had stopped to look at the crash. The men then took off on foot.
At around 7:00 a.m., Sherborn police sent an emergency alert to residents asking them to contact authorities immediately if they spotted the men. Officers from multiple police departments searched the area near the Pine Hill Elementary School and the Natick town line as a result. North Main Street in Natick was also shut down for the investigation.
Later in the morning, Natick Police reported that Sherborn Police lifted the shelter-in-place advisory despite the ongoing search.
“This incident is ongoing and several police departments continue to search for 3 suspects who stole a motor vehicle in a neighboring community and crashed it in Sherborn, near the Natick town line,” the department wrote on Facebook. “Reports indicate that the suspects fled on foot and may be armed.”
Natick police also said students and staff were ordered to shelter in place at Natick High School and Memorial Elementary School as well.
WBZ-TV reports Galvin said the Alfa Romeo was stolen in Sudbury earlier this week and State Police said the incidents are connected.