BROCKTON, Mass (WBZ NewsRadio) — The Brockton Fire Department responded to five fires started by fireworks on Sunday night as the city celebrated the Fourth of July.
Brockton Fire Captain Steven McLean said the worst fire Sunday night was on Martin Street just after 11:00 PM, which apparently was started by leaning used fireworks up against a house. Four people are now displaced because of the fire.
"There's a safety factor... people could get injured if they're not sure of how to handle fireworks...it's definitely created a strain on resources here," said McLean.
One neighbor who did not want to be identified said he was lighting fireworks himself, but only one at a time. The neighbor said he saw others lighting entire boxes of fireworks at once.
WBZ's Suzanne Sausville (@wbzSausville) reports: