BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — As the number of coronavirus cases continues to climb in the city of Boston, Mayor Marty Walsh warned residents against ignoring the state's stay-at-home advisory.
"Too many people are not taking this seriously enough," Walsh said at a press conference on Friday afternoon. "This is not about you. This is about your neighbors, your friends, and family."
The warning came as Mayor Walsh announced another spike in the number of COVID-19 cases. As of Friday, Boston has 477 cases of coronavirus, 40 recoveries, and two deaths. That's an additional 113 additional cases for the city since yesterday.
Walsh urged residents to continue to stay home unless it is absolutely necessary to leave. If he continues to receive reports of large groups gathering, Walsh said he would name the locations to ensure "people know that you shouldn't be there."
The Mayor also announced the opening of the first COVID-19 testing center for the city, which will be available only to EMT's, police officers, and firefighters. The site will open on Saturday at Suffolk Downs in East Boston.
When asked how long he thought all this could last, Mayor Walsh replied "I think we're in this until May, June, maybe July."
Gov. Baker made a similar sentiment earlier on Friday, saying he disagreed with President Trump's estimation that coronavirus concerns would be over by April. "No, we're not going to be up and running by Easter," Baker said.
(Photo: Getty Images)