Wareham Police: Fugitive Who Attacked Officers Held On $50K Bail

wareham police vieira arrest

Anthony Vieira. (Wareham Police Department)

WAREHAM (WBZ NewsRadio) — A fugitive accused in a series of jewelry store break-ins—as well as putting a Wareham Police officer in the hospital—is now under arrest after an overnight search.

Anthony Vieira, 24, is accused of breaking into several businesses after midnight, including one jewelry store that he's already been accused of breaking into in the past.

"I would describe him as a desperate and dangerous fugitive," Acting Wareham Police Chief John Walcek told WBZ NewsRadio. "I'm glad he's in custody right now."

Vieira was ordered held on $50,000 bail, and bail in two of his previously open cases has been revoked.

Early Wednesday morning, Fall River Police alerted Wareham Police that Vieira, a wanted fugitive, might be in the Wareham area. Officers searched but couldn't find Vieira, and asked the public to notify them if he was spotted.

Following the series of break-ins early Friday morning, an officer encountered and tried to arrest Vieira, but he escaped.

"At some point he was cornered by one of our officers, and when the officer went to handcuff him, he shoved the officer off, and assaulted him, and then took off running."

That officer was hurt, though the extent of his injuries wasn't yet known.

"He went to the hospital, was treated for an injury, and he's been put out of work," Walcek said.

Around 7 a.m. Friday, Wareham Police found Vieira at a home on Charge Pond Road and arrested him, along with three other people. Their charges were not yet known.

"I understand from the officer who attempted to arrest him this morning, he had multiple watches on, I believe," Walcek said. "In fact, he was wearing a bunch of jewelry tonight, or, this morning, when we got him."

Vieira was known to Wareham Police prior to the overnight incident, and is a previously-convicted felon, according to Walcek. The department suspected that Vieira had broken into two jewelry stores in Wareham and one in Bourne previously, and arrested him last year.

"We got him after a pursuit, and the police officers arrested him in November," Walcek said.

Walcek said Vieira's bail was reduced at that time, allowing him to make bail in December. He failed to show up for a January 29 court date, and has been on the run since. He also has charges out of Fall River that Walcek could not comment on.

Vieira is due back in court March 4.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content