CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (WBZ Newsradio) — Twelve Cambridge firefighters were taken to the hospital on Wednesday morning, after they received minor chemical burns.
According to the Cambridge Fire Department, crews responded to an apartment building on Mass Ave., after reports of smoke showing from the building around 1 AM.
Upon arrival, fire officials found smoke on the fourth floor and a fire inside an empty unit.
The 12 firefighters received the burns after they used water to put out the flames. Officials said, a chemical reaction occurred with peroxide and ammonia stored in the apartment.
They were said to have suffered burns to their hands. The Boston Fire HazMat Task Force repsonded to the incident.
All firefighters were released from the hospital Wednesday morning. Four residents were displaced because of the fire.
No residents were hurt. The circumstances surrounding the incident remains under investigation.