BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) — New Orange Line trains are returning to service after being pulled last week because of a braking issue.
The MBTA pulled the new trains from service on Thursday, May 19 after one of the trains had a braking problem while entering the Wellington station after one of the train's 48 braking units malfunctioned and then disabled the train.
While the MBTA said the issue was not a direct hazard for riders or employees, the train had to be removed from service to be inspected. After removing the train with the braking issue, the MBTA decided to remove all of its new Orange Line trains from service to be safe.
During inspections, MBTA maintenance workers found that one of the bolts in the train car's eight braking units had not been adequately installed at its manufacturing plant. After this discovery, the MBTA decided to have all of the cars on the new trains inspected to make sure the bolts in the braking units were properly secured.
The MBTA said it did not detect the issue in any of the other train cars its workers inspected. Thirty of the new trains are available for service at the time of publication, according to the MBTA. More new trains will return to service as inspections are completed.