SUTTON, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — Sutton and Massachusetts State Fire officials are seeking the public's help in the investigation of a brush fire that broke out earlier in May around a former Motor-In drive-in theater, offering up to $5,000 to anyone who can provide relevant information.
The fire was first reported Sunday, May 1, in the afternoon by motorists traveling along Route 146, officials say. The Sutton Fire Department said the flames consumed several acres of brush on both sides of the roadway, destroying the drive-in's screen tower.
The fire grew to four-alarms and required multiple companies from Millbury, Grafton, Uxbridge, Douglas, Northbridge, Auburn, Mendon, Webster, and Oxford before it was extinguished later that night.
“Our goal right now is to gather as much information as possible, you can remain anonymous if you wish,” said Sutton Fire Chief Matthew Belsito.
Those with information related to the incident were urged to contact the confidential hotline at 1-800-682-9229.