On Friday, hundreds of students walked out of their classes at Quincy High School and took the streets, marching in protest against racism. This came after a video containing "racist hate speech" circulated on social media and eventually caused a fight at the school.
In anticipation of another walkout demonstration, the Quincy Schools Superintendent released at statement and said students will not be allowed to leave the school building on Monday unless they have been dismissed by a parent or guardian.
"While the district recognizes the importance of student protest, particularly when it addresses serious concerns about racism within our school community, we cannot continue to have students leave school and miss valuable educational time," Superintendent Kevin Mulvey said in a joint statement with the principals of Quincy and North Quincy High School.
School officials learned of a potential second protest through social media, according to the statement. They said any student who leaves school and does not return would be required to complete any missed assignments.
The video that prompted Friday's protests was reportedly made by a student last year, but began being circulated on social media recently. The video prompted a fight after dismissal last week between two students.
The school plans to host a community forum Monday night at 5 p.m. in response to the video and Friday's walkout. They previously held a meeting on Friday to discuss the issue.