Woman Dies In Early Morning Fire In Abington

Photo: Getty Images

ABINGTON, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) – A fire that broke out early Thursday morning has taken someone’s life, fire officials said.

Abington firefighters responded to the area of 736 Linwood Street around 3:45 a.m. after receiving a 911 call for a fire. Upon arrival, crews said the entire house was covered in heavy smoke and flames.

Read More: Mask Mandate To Remain In Boston Schools, For Now

One person was taken to the hospital and another died from their injuries. The Plymouth District Attorney’s office later identified the victim as 45-year-old Susan Boerman.

Officials believed the fire was most likely caused by "an unspecified electrical event in the living room." The incident inspired them to remind the public about the dangers of electrical fires, which are the second-leading causes of fatal fires in the state.

Read More: Providence Gunman Dead After Police Standoff, Numerous Shots Fired

“Modern fires burn faster than they did a few decades ago,” said State Fire Marshal Ostroskey. “You might have less than three minutes to escape from a house fire, so it’s important for everyone to have working smoke alarms on every floor and a home escape plan that accounts for two ways out. The warning from a smoke alarm and knowing where to go in an emergency can give you time to get out, stay out, and call 9-1-1.”

A dog also died in the fire.

Follow WBZ NewsRadio: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | iHeartmedia App

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content